Chairman, Coach & Facilitator
My career and achievements include the following. I am Chairman of Thulani Facilitates (Coaching, Facilitating and Strategy Consulting); Chairman of Phambili Investments Corporation; and climbed to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro without using any stimulant or medication (Oct 2004). At Woolworths my experience includes being the Merchandise Manager and General Manager for Cellular and Accessories; Supply Chain Manager; and Operations Manager (Food Division). At Southern Life, I was a Systems Analyst; elected President of the staff union for three consecutive terms, Personal Assistant to the Human Resources director and then Change Manager in the Change and Transformation Project with Gemini Consulting. At Shell, I was an IT programmer.
I emerged from a modest background, schooling in a typical township of Kwa-Mashu with a shortage of science and maths teachers, in the midst of political uprisings, to matriculate in 1982. I funded my tertiary education by being a hawker and doing odd jobs including being a Petrol Attendant at a BP Service Station.
Studies include a BSc (Physics III, Maths II, Applied Mathematics II, Information Systems II, and Psychology II) [Univ. Fort Hare]; Human Resources Certificate (with distinction) from the Institute of Personnel Management; Diploma in Practitioner Coaching [The Coaching Centre]; and attended a Masters Programme in Coaching with [i-coach Academy, affiliated to Middlesex University, UK].
I have travelled in England, Austria, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zanzibar, United States of America, Bahamas and Mauritius. In each place, I learnt something special. One of the fascinating lessons was from a Political Science lecturer from Jamaica who shared his view on the strategy for developing nations – agricultural self-sufficiency and an economy with minimal external dependencies.
- National Chairman , President [1996 - 1998] – Southern Life Employees Committee (Staff Union);
- Head of Organisational Transformation Division - BMF Western Cape ;
- Founder member ; Chairman ; President [1995 - 1998] - Affirmative Action Support Group (Southern Life);
- Founder member and Chairman [1995 - present], Phambili Investment Corporation;
- President of Southern Life Employees Union [1996 – 1998];
- Deputy Chairman  - Black Management Forum – JHB branch;
- Only member of a climbing team to summit Mount Kilimanjaro with no medication nor stimulant [Oct 2004];
- Chairman – Cape Town Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry, South Peninsula [Nov 2006 – Oct 2007];
- Vice President [Oct 2007 – 2008]; Deputy President [Nov 2008 – Oct 2009] – Cape Town Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry; and
- Steering Committee member and Chairman of Strategic Purpose Sub-group of COMENSA (Coaches and Mentors of South Africa). [June 2005 – May 2007].
My consulting experience dates back to 1997. Thulani Facilitates engages from a position of experience and knowledge - with working experience in different roles and various companies: Labourer; Corporate staff; Professional; Union member; Union leader; Manager (various fields, levels and roles); Entrepreneur; Black Empowerment.
Thulani Facilitates’ clients include:
- Retail: Woolworths, BP Africa, Pep;
- Services: Equity Aviation, Nicolene Di Bartolo Recruiting, Business Network International (BNI), Chamber of Commerce and Industry (WC);
- Financial Services: Old Mutual, Sanlam, Momentum, Discovery, Standard Bank, Metropolitan Life;
- Industrial: Nampak, SANS Fibres, New Res Construction, Anglo Coal;
- Technical: CSC Computer Science, Arntech Security;
- Non-profit Organisations: BMF, Coaches & Mentors of SA (COMENSA), Cape Town Festival (1 City Many Cultures);
- Education: UCT Graduate School of Business, College of Cape Town, The Coaching Centre;
- Public Sector (WC Depts.): Local Gov and Housing, Econ Dev & Tourism.
Date: 12/12/2008; Thulani has been my coach on and off for a period of three years. During the gap periods when he wasn't coaching me, I really missed the difference he made as a valuable sounding board and "reality checker".
Thulani is a good listener and is spot on with his insights. Because he has a holistic approach to life, he has been able to bring a variety of perspectives to the challenges I face. He provides really useful feedback and is very supportive. And a bonus is that he has a great sense of humour.
Dr Hildegarde Fast
Deputy Director-General: Strategy, Planning, Operations & Corporate Services
Department of Local Government & Housing, Western Cape