I am Managing Director of Metaco, a specialist leadership development consultancy which is a subsidiary of the Comair Group, part of its growth strategy to diversify its services beyond aviation into other key industries. The development of effective leadership and aligned teams has been identified by Comair as central to its own success and crucial for the future of any organization, irrespective of context.
Working at the interface between strategy, organizational culture and leadership development, our systemic focus is on enabling high-performing, networked teams and leaders which are aligned with the needs of their stakeholders and deliver significantly more than the sum of their parts within a learning environment.
My clients are predominantly Senior Leadership and Boards (teams and individuals), both in the private and public sectors. With a business background spanning 35 years, I have a solid understanding of what it takes to succeed through the consistent rapid change, uncertainty and complexity that business and leaders face in these times.
As is our philosophy at Metaco, we are moving beyond systemic thinking into eco-systemic thinking, taking into account the systems and nested systems of which our clients are a part, the various contexts in which they engage, the stakeholders with whom they interact and the impact of change, behaviours and actions. We go to great lengths to ensure that our work is congruent, sustainable and aligned with the expressed values of the organisation, the results it seeks, and the expectations of its stakeholders.
I have during my career worked throughout South Africa, across Sub-Saharan Africa and abroad, and best describe my approach as Systemic Relational. I bring the combination of over 8000 hours of recorded coaching experience, academic study and extensive practitioner training to my coaching, consulting and facilitation.
I have an MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change through Henley Business School (University of Reading) in the United Kingdom, alongside several recognised practitioner coaching qualifications, including a Master Practitioner Diploma in Systemic Team Coaching. Additionally, I am registered by the SA Board for People Practices as a Master HR Practitioner: Learning and Development.
Besides my work with leaders and leadership teams, I am a qualified coach trainer. My focus is on the training and development of accredited internal coaches within organisations, and as faculty on the AoEC/Renewal Associates Systemic Team Coaching Certificate and Diploma programmes which Metaco sponsors in South Africa.
I place great importance on my own continual personal and professional growth and development and am supervised and mentored by Professor Peter Hawkins (Professor of Leadership at Henley Business School in the UK and author of several best-selling books on the topics of leadership, coaching and culture change). Besides this I annually attend programmes and conferences with international leaders in the fields of coaching and leadership and in this way, ensure that I am always informed by the latest developments in the field.
COMMENTS FROM PAST CLIENTS
“Metaco’s methodology to support business with the effectiveness of high performing teams is sound, and the quality of their work is exceptional. They support teams in their ability to connect to each other, as well as to their various stakeholder requirements. They also support leaders to step up to the business challenges of the day through individual coaching… I strongly recommend Metaco’s services and believe that any business will benefit from working with them in developing their leadership and to enhance their organizational effectiveness.”
(OD & Talent Head, Transport Industry)
“My executive coaching experience with Metaco is the most valuable, professional development I have received. The coaching helped me make the leap from being a Senior Manager to being an Executive. Unlike other Executive Coaching Programmes, the Metaco programme was very practical, tailored for my specific needs and relevant to the changing industry in which I work. The take-outs from the programme are all relevant and applied by me daily in my work. The structured format of the Executive Coaching Programme, Barbara's deep insight into the mind of an Executive in general and the coaching candidate in particular, were extraordinary.”
(Executive Manager, Financial Services Industry)
I have worked with executives, leaders and teams in the following organisations:
- AngloGold Ashanti
- CBi-Electric: African Cables
- Development Bank of South Africa
- Hewlett Packard (HP) Business Institute •
- Human Sciences Research Council
- Industrial Development Corporation
- Mamoth Financial Services
- Murray & Roberts Group
- Nike Africa
- Road Accident Fund
- Servest Group
- Shanta Gold
- Spectrum Solutions
- SA Tourism
- Standard Bank
- Transnet Freight Rail
- Urban Dynamics
- WorldsView Technologies
Coaching & Behavioural Change
- Systemic Team Coaching Master Practitioner Diploma – Academy of Executive Coaching, United Kingdom
- MSc in Coaching & Behavioural Change – Henley Business School, United Kingdom (2014)
- Neuro-Semantic NLP Master Practitioner Certification: Ericksonian Techniques and Advanced Language Patterns - ISNS
- ACMC - Group and Team Coaching – ISNS
- Associate Certified Meta-Coach (ACMC) – ISNS
- Neuro-Semantic NLP Master Practitioner Certification: Business Leadership ISNS
- NLP Practitioner Certification - ISNS
- Applied Business Psychology & Human Behaviour – UNISA
Learning & Development
- Master HR Practitioner: Learning & Development – SA Board for People Practices
- Foundations in Coaching Supervision – Bath Consulting Group, UK
- Neuro-Semantics NLP & Coaching Trainer Certification – ISNS USA
- iEQ9 Enneagram Profiling Level 2: Individuals and Teams
- Leadership Circle for Individuals and Teams
- iWAM (Inventory for Work, Attitudes & Motivation)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Systemic Team Coaching at Board, Executive, Leadership and Operational levels
- Executive Transformational and Developmental Coaching and Thinking Partnerships
- Leadership Developmental Coaching
- Organizational Culture and Behavioural Change
- Internal and Team Coach Training & Certification
ALUMNI, ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Henley Business School, University of Reading, United Kingdom & South Africa
- International Coach Federation (ICF): Practitioner Member
- Coaches & Mentors South Africa (COMENSA): Practitioner Member
- International Society of Neuro-Semantics (ISNS): Accredited Coach and Trainer
- SA Board for People Practices (SABPP): Registered Master HR Professional
- Institute for People Management (IPM)