Executive/Leadership & Career Change Coach
Purposeful Living and Career Performance
Executive Coach, Career Change Coach, Coaching Consultant and Facilitator
Please refer to my website at www.fredbakkercoaching.com for more details.
I believe in the value of truly knowing ourselves – and then choosing to live a more fulfilling life by taking advantage of our unique set of talents, strengths, skills and other competencies. As a creative and innovative thinking partner and sounding board, I help my clients build greater self-awareness, clarify their goals and key objectives, explore their options, determine which solutions are the most suitable – given their unique circumstances – and implement the desired changes.
My coaching and development related services include:
- One-on-one Executive Coaching – including Leadership and Management Development using an Emotional Intelligence framework.
- Customised Leadership Style 360 Feedback Surveys.
- Facilitating Strategy Sessions, Self-Management, Self-Mastery and other customised workshops for groups.
- Establishing Peer Learning Groups or coaching circles in order to provide a structured dynamic which encourages creative problem solving and collaboration.
- Career Change Coaching for individuals who feel stuck and are grappling with alternatives.
- Life Coaching to deal with personal development needs.
My past work experience includes twelve years as a senior treasury dealer in banking and five years teaching mainly Business English one-on-one to executives in Japan..
I communicate well at all levels in both English and Afrikaans and am an effective motivator without losing sight of the practical steps required to achieve personal and organisational goals.
I’ve been coaching individuals and groups, mostly in organisations, full-time since June 2004 – logging more than 5500 hours of coaching and facilitation by March 2022. Past and present clients I’ve had the privilege of working with include management at Santam, Pioneer Foods, Distell, Allan Gray, Thompsons Tours, Sanlam, Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company, SABMiller, Liberty Life, SMIT Amandla Marine, Private Safaris, The Foschini Group, MDA Property Systems, CWD, Sondor Industries, the Western Cape Government – Dept. of Transport & Public Works, Nautic Africa, Permoseal, MMI Holdings, the Southern African Power Pool, Quintessence, Enartis SA, Ringier One Africa Media, Terra Nova Tours, Old Mutual, The Auditor General of South Africa, Shoprite Checkers and Cell C. My private or Personal Development clients include a broad range of people – primarily dealing with career change decisions.
Please refer to my website at http://www.fredbakkercoaching.com/ for client comments.
- Bachelor of Business Science (UCT 1985)
- Certificate in Treasury Management (UNISA 1997)
- Cert. Pract. Coaching (SACAP 2004)
The following principles guide the work I do:
- Client centred – I believe that the needs of my clients come first. Development and change is owned and driven by my clients. My approach, framework and methodology come second.
- Humanistic approach – I believe that my clients are capable of change and have the inherent ability to decide what is right for themselves.
- 100% Present – I believe in really being there, really being focussed on my client when we are together.
- Focus on the individual – I believe that it all starts with the individual, whatever group (gender, age, culture, race or nationality) my client may also identify with.
- I establish and confirm that the individual is motivated to do the developmental work required.
- I aim for “ …an environment that provides them with genuineness (openness and self-disclosure), acceptance (being seen with unconditional positive regard), and empathy (being listened to and understood).” – Carl Rogers (1902-1987)
- I facilitate development – rather than directing or advising.
- I act as a confidential, impartial and non-judgmental sounding board.
- I provide clients with an opportunity to learn through a process of observing themselves from another’s perspective, practicing different ways of behaving and reflecting on changes made.
- I take a holistic and systemic view, so personal issues may be included during executive coaching sessions … although the focus will always be on development issues identified by the client.
- I keep the process open and transparent while using clear and easily understood terms.
- I assume that the individual is psychologically healthy and refer if necessary.
- As a founding member of COMENSA I subscribe to our Code of Ethics (www.comensa.org.za)